Thursday, May 10, 2007

Abe Goldsmith steps away, never "down".

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007

Abe Goldsmith, 7 year veteran reporting the College of Lake County Board of Trustees monthly meeting actions, tonight - as the board was well into their "closed session" (and still going now and closed at 10:10pm !) - told me that he was "...just getting tired of [reporting]...", and frankly I believe him. I always did believe him. Abe and I spent almost 2 full years as office mates here at CLC in the Student Activites Offices and we cajoled each other occasionally on various topics for discussion. Coming into work, I would be greeted every afternoon on his take of that day's news - (and I welcomed it).

While office mates (and prior to my joining as CLC Radio GM), Abe was the advisor to the CLC student-operated newspaper, "The Chronicle", and was well qualified to the task, through his association with the Waukegan News Sun. While at CLC, Abe brought high awareness to as many who would attend, the story of Daniel Pearl through a conference that Abe assembled all himself, then later aided with a few student workers and some of us filling in any gaps for panelists for various discussion topics (I was on the obscenity panel, myself focusing on Internet Radio profanity rules - both on-air talk and music played).

On his leaving the likes and company of such luminairs as Dr. Dick Fonte and the newest elected board member, Mr. Lumber, I asked Abe whom he might be handing the torch, he replied, "..I guess they'll [the newspaper boys downtown] will just punt...".

A staff reporter for business of the CLC Board of Trustess meeting actions = crap. And tonight still going at 11:10pm !

I'm back now to report that the closed session broke at 11:25pm but had not wrapped yet....they should have ordered pizza. I should have ordered pizza, for them, if not for me.

I'll report back when I see them all crawling down the stairs...NOPE, .still going .at 12:15am. WOW.
Tuesday, May 9th, 2007 12:55am, I call out, I'm Audi.


Later on Tuesday, May 9th, 2007

I'm in at work at my usual time, and I am told that Doctor Fonte is on "vacation for one week". Perhaps he needed to get away for Mother's Day? I don't know, but DON'T FORGET YO MAMA! and by the way, the "...Board meeting went until 2:00 am..." and apparently, "..was reconvened early this morning...".

HOLY PIZZA HUT CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT, BATMAN! If I had been in that meeting until 10:30pm, I would have ordered Pizza for the House.

That said, I have a small amount of difficulty in knowing that the college President will be absent from the official Graduation Handshake Line, as it were, this Saturday at 2pm in the Gymnausium. But, the newly re-elected Board Chairman to shake hands with as you walk up to the platform ain't too shabby, either!

But, an absent President is not unheard of.

No comments: